Google Pixel 8 Pro

Unlock the future with discussions on AI-powered devices, cutting-edge gadgets, and the latest tech innovations. From smart assistants to neural networks, explore the intersection of artificial intelligence and everyday life.
Warlock

Re: Google Pixel 8 Pro

Post by Warlock »

Thanks for all the information. I think I'm going to take your advice and wait for black Friday. Black Friday deals are usually better than launch deals, right?
Mango

Post by Mango »

I think you are right, and Black Friday 2024 is on November 23. However, you can stay informed about the best Google Pixel sales and deals throughout the year by signing up for alerts on BlackFriday dot com. That way, you can always save like it’s Black Friday! Anyways, they will sometimes issue a $100-200 discount or bundle of some type and bonus towards trade in. When I purchased my Pixel 7 Pro on Black Friday 2021, the original price was $995, and the sale price $850. I also got the $450 trade in promo for my Google Pixel 6.
AIUnveil

Post by AIUnveil »

As an IT engineer, my work demands cutting-edge technology, especially in terms of connectivity and mobile computing. Recently, during a business trip across Asia—with scheduled meetings in Japan, Hong Kong, and Thailand—I carried what I believed was one of the most sophisticated mobile tools: the Google Pixel 8. However, my experience revealed a critical oversight by Google: a software lock on 5G connectivity—an unexpected flaw for a company leading Android development.

Arriving in Japan, known for its advanced mobile networks, I was surprised to find my device restricted to 4G services. Assuming a temporary glitch, I continued my tasks, only to face the same limitation in Hong Kong and later in Thailand. Each location, despite robust 5G infrastructure, reminded me of my device’s unexpected shortcoming.

Seeking a solution, I contacted Google support. To my dismay, this wasn’t a malfunction but a deliberate design choice—a software lock preventing 5G access in certain regions, regardless of local capabilities or user needs. This restriction baffles me, given Google’s role as an Android developer championing accessibility and user-centric features.

The limitation hindered my efficiency, relying on slower data speeds in bustling cities. It reflects poorly on Google’s commitment to customers, especially professionals needing seamless global connectivity. As a first-party developer, Google should ensure devices are competitive in hardware and free of unnecessary software restrictions.

The Google Pixel 8, impressive in many ways, falls short where it matters for IT and software engineers. The inability to access 5G networks due to a software lock isn’t trivial—it undermines a device marketed for developers. This experience reminds us that even reputable tech companies can make decisions affecting user experience, not always for the better.

Consider an iPhone—don’t be foolish *
SpaceLace

Post by SpaceLace »

I just checked and saw the Pixel 8 for sale online for $810 with free delivery, they also offer them used (like new) for $100 less, to be exact $699. I wonder how much for the Pixel 9, I think I am going to wait for Black Friday too.
Hetty

Post by Hetty »

Here's my two cents' worth

Everyday Use: Absolutely! It runs smoothly for daily tasks—no choppiness or sluggishness when opening apps.

Battery Life: Unfortunately, it’s mediocre, especially on 5G. After the April updates, the phone inexplicably warms up. It drains quickly and charges slowly. Interestingly, when charging, if the temperature hits 39°C, the charging speed throttles to 2W.

Camera: While I understand you’re not particularly interested, I’m genuinely thrilled with the group photos taken by the Pixel 8 Pro. They consistently outperform other phones.

Astrophotography: An unexpected bonus—I noticed that when capturing an astrophotography shot, it also records a time-lapse video. Pretty cool!

Best Take in Google Photos: Absolutely! Taking similar-posed photos and editing them later to “build” a perfect shot using AI is a fantastic feature. Interestingly, Google recently announced that these AI editing features are no longer exclusive to Pixel users.

Charging Issue After April Update: I believe it’s a genuine bug. Google Support confirmed that they didn’t make any software changes related to battery or throttling.

Random Ringing Bug: Sometimes the phone rings, but nothing appears on the screen. You just have to wait it out. Interestingly, none of my friends have tried calling me during these mysterious episodes.

Antenna Weakness: Both Wi-Fi and phone signal strengths are weaker compared to the Mi 10 Ultra. I suspect it’s a hardware issue.

Switching from Mi 10 Ultra: Honestly, apart from the camera, switching to the P8P didn’t feel like a significant upgrade. I wish I could charge at 120W (compared to 30W), have better graphics in Genshin Impact, and avoid excessive warmth on 5G. But overall, I’m content with my choice—especially the Bay Blue color. Mi 10 Ultra’s transparent glass can’t compete with that Dayummm Bay Blue! *
AIandQubits

Post by AIandQubits »

I think the Google Pixel 8 Pro is awesome! Bay Blue Whispers: Choose the Bay color—it’s a refreshing departure from the usual black and white. Subtle yet striking.
AI-driven wallpapers create surreal landscapes. Try the “surreal castle made of agate”—it’s mesmerizing.
AI-driven wallpapers create surreal landscapes. Try the “surreal castle made of agate”—it’s mesmerizing.
pixel-8-pro-2.jpg (50.85 KiB) Viewed 244 times
Matte Magic: Its matte back glass repels smudges, leaving it perpetually pristine. Cleanliness is Pixel’s virtue.
Extended use reveals true worth. The Pixel 8 Pro endures—a rare feat in the smartphone world.
Extended use reveals true worth. The Pixel 8 Pro endures—a rare feat in the smartphone world.
google-pixel8.jpg (51.44 KiB) Viewed 244 times
Elegance in Simplicity: Like a haiku, the Pixel 8 Pro distills functionality into an art form—no frills, just purpose.
Despite its size, the Pixel 8 Pro feels light and easy to hold. Curved edges add to its allure.
Despite its size, the Pixel 8 Pro feels light and easy to hold. Curved edges add to its allure.
googlepixel8.jpg (48.23 KiB) Viewed 244 times
With 1440p resolution, 120Hz refresh rate, and 2,400 nits peak brightness, it’s a visual masterpiece.
Hetty

Post by Hetty »

Did you know that the Google Pixel 8 Pro is equipped with the Google Tensor G3 chip? This third-generation custom silicon chip brings cutting-edge AI capabilities directly to the Pixel 8 Pro. It includes upgraded components like ARM CPUs, an improved GPU, a new ISP and Imaging DSP, and a next-gen TPU designed specifically for running Google’s AI models. Compared to the first-generation Tensor on the Pixel 6, the latest phones can handle more than twice as many on-device machine learning models, enhancing various aspects of the user experience. So, rest assured, the Pixel 8 Pro is powered by some serious AI magic! :lol: